- The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for ensuring the Mechanical equipment and plant of all Marine Assets are supported and in compliance with Project and regulatory requirements
POSITION REPORTS TO
Line Manager: GPO AGT Marine & Subsea Marine Asset Manager
Functional lead: GPO AGT Marine & Subsea Marine Asset Manager
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure marine installation contractors provides correctly engineered solutions for required upgrades, reactivations and operation of marine vessels
- Liase with Project Programme Managers to ensure upgrades and reactivations are suitable to the offshore execution requirements
- Monitor Contractor’s activities during Scope of Work generation and CTR development
- Participate in overall bid evaluation process for contract award
- Monitor contractor performance and ensure all contractual requirements are complied with
- Perform effective interface between Company contracted equipment suppliers and Contractor
- Report regularly to senior management on the progress of works and any issues
- Ensures that all relevant requirements are complied with in terms of BP procedures and practices, Classification Society and State Marine Administration requirements
- Ensure all project risks are identified, plans developed and executed for their removal or reduction
- Evaluate performance of contractor and sub-contractors. Provide constructive feedback and intervention as required through oversight activities
- Integrate with contractor Asset management team to ensure transparency with respect to safety, progress, schedule, quality and cost
- Provides guidance, advice and training to project team, contractors, and third parties as required to ensure understanding of the vessel upgrade, reactivation and operation objectives.
- Continuous interrogation of schedule to ensure opportunities to maintain schedule are realised
- Assist contractor in re-scheduling activities or scope in order to maintain project schedule
- Review the contractor’s engineering deliverables to ensure compliance with project requirements
- Monitor timesheets of Contractor Engineering team to ensure no overspend and an effective output
- Liase directly with Company Safety, Quality, Cost, planning and management team to provide feedback in respective areas of interest
- Assist Contractor with Technical Queries related to upgrade and reactivation works
- Be focal point between BP Marine Asset department and installation contractor on mechanical matters
Academic /experience requirements:
- At least 8 years successful track record of upgrades on vessel mechanical systems including FEED and detailed design, installation and commissioning of marine power plants, mission equipment, propulsion and DP control systems
- Knowledge of current Class requirements and international marine standards
- Experience of managing large cross discipline projects and leading teams of specialist engineers / vendors
- Able to perform FMEA, HAZOP and HAZID studies
- Knowledge of BP internal processes, project controls and standards
- Demonstrates personal responsibility for the safety and well-being of everyone around them.
- Develops the safety and risk management skills of the Marine Asset team.
- Follows the requirements specified in OMS, and contribute to the delivery of safe, compliant and reliable operations.
- Adheres to the Code of Conduct and to local laws and regulations.
- Pursues systematic management through standardisation, clarification and the elimination of defects.
- Follows and upholds the rules and standards of BP and holds others to account for doing the same thing.
- Plans carefully, make well-informed decisions and do the right thing.
- Fosters learning, the sharing of knowledge and continuous improvement.
- Speaks out when seeing something is not right and is prepared to say “no” or “stop” when necessary.
- Recognizes and acknowledges the contribution of others.
- Develops trust from others by delivering on accountabilities
- Familiar with site construction activities related to health, safety, and environmental issues.
- Computer literate.
- Good communicator (written and oral).
- Tactful and persuasive
- A Team Player